Spectrum provides people with autistic spectrum disorders, Asperger’s syndrome and similar conditions a safe environment that respects their rights and their dignity.
Spectrum is committed to delivering the highest quality service to its users and we believe that by implementing a value-based approach we can run our operation in an effective and compliant manner. Each team member is expected to uphold the highest levels of professional responsibility and accountability.
Our code of conduct:
- Promote unconditional positive regard for all service users, families, guardians and team members.
- Promote the rights and interests of service users, families, guardians and team members. This includes demonstrating respect for service users’ needs and human rights, and ensuring that dignity and rights to privacy are respected at all times.
- Treat each person as an individual, promoting choices and decision making and respecting individual views and wishes of service users, families, guardians and team members.
- Support and promote service users’ rights to control their lives and make informed choices about the services they receive as opportunities for development of self-worth, self-esteem and personal identity.
- Promote the independence of service users whilst seeking to ensure that their behaviour and the behaviour of team members do not harm either themselves or other people.
- Communicate in an appropriate and straightforward way, at a level and pace suitable for each individual.
- Listen to service users and take them seriously without belittling or ignoring them. Team members must respect service users’ rights to feel angry or upset.
- Be non-judgemental in conduct and language, non-patronising, caring, patient and professional at all times.
- Always demonstrate a calm approach in voice and manner and provide consistent reassurance and support for service users, families, guardians and team members.
- Establish and maintain the trust and confidence of service users, families, guardians and team members.
- Demonstrate warmth, honesty, integrity and respect for service users and be reliable and dependable.
- Respect confidential information in all aspects of work, declaring issues that might create conflicts of interest, ensuring they do not affect judgements.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures concerning accepting gifts and money from service users.
- Behave in such a way, both inside and outside of work, so that one’s suitability to work with Spectrum is not called into question and Spectrum is not brought into disrepute. This includes actions and comments on social networking sites.